Columbus residents evacuated due to a fire in the apartment

Columbus, Mississippi (WCBI) – An early morning fire broke out in an apartment building, evacuating multiple families from smoke and water damage.

Residents of the Columbus colony apartment were able to escape the flames.

Only debris is left for some families living in colony apartments. The walls will burn, the windows will break, and the house will be lost.

“We had to act quickly. We didn’t have time to get what you know,” said apartment resident Anche Wilkins.

Anche and Michael Wilkins live in Building 15. The couple said they didn’t expect to wake up to such a nightmare.

“We were actually sleeping, and that’s when my husband said,” Do you smell it like that smoke? “So you actually get up and out of the window Something looked out and it was actually smoke. And I opened the front door, which we saw smoke when our fire alarm was off, and our neighbor ran upstairs to take us out “Wilkins said.

Wilkins said he was lucky to be successful. After nearly an hour of burning their buildings, most of their personal belongings are now covered in soot.

“I can’t help thinking about everything we lost. You can’t help thinking, maybe you went in and saved some. And some more. I saved it, so it’s definitely a catastrophic loss, “said Michael Wilkins.

“We’re only here for a month, so the fact that we’re in the process you know, square everything, and we’ve lost everything is very devastating. I didn’t expect to experience anything, but I did, “said Wilkins.

There were several agencies on site to extinguish the flames.

“The fire was spreading from top to bottom. It was really all around, but it’s mostly at the top,” said Columbus Fireman of Lukas Borntrager.

Michael Walker, spokeswoman for Columbus Fire and Rescue, said help is here for the families of refugees.

“The American Red Cross is here for those who find shelters in need. It happens, but not often. It’s good that smoke detectors were working in the apartment as well. That’s what Walker said.

And in this tragedy, the community came together.

“I was just comforted to know that we don’t really know everyone here, but as you know, everyone came to our help. We welcomed our brothers and sisters with Jehovah’s Witnesses who stayed here, and they took us too. And despite losing everything, we It was just a comfort to know that I wasn’t alone, “Wilkins said.

This case is under investigation. Investigators said the fire started on the front left balcony.

Everyone was able to evacuate the building and one was taken to the hospital for minor injuries. They were treated and released.

Related Posts